Cesenatico is a town with a fascinating history, a place scattered with jewels to be discovered, bathed by the sea and the sun, caressed by the breeze that pushes you to turn and enjoy every corner and every single street...
The Museum, situated in the oldest and innermost part of the Leonardo's canal , collects and represents ten typical sailing boats (restored and reactivated) of the high and middle Adriatic sea, used for fishing and marine traffic: the Bragozzo and the open-sea Bragozzo (small sailing-boats), the Battana and the Top (flat-bottomed boats), the Lancia (launch), the fishing Trabaccolo and the transportation Trabaccolo, the Paranza and the Barchét (medium-sized fishing boat).
The Museum, which was founded at the beginning of the eighties, is not only the synthesis of centuries and centuries of marine civilisation from Trieste right to Pescara, but is also an effective summary of the particular role of the port of Cesenatico over the years.
During Christmastime there is a traditional crib on the boats : the Marine Museum is illuminated with lights and is animated with artistic statues which tell the Nativity story in marine style.
Floating Maritime Museum
On display the remaining evidence such as the tools and equipment the seamen used and the techniques of boatbuilding such as those craft used in the different types of fishing and the methods of handling their sails.
The Moretti-House can be reached by car or public means of transport.
In this house, where the gifted poet and writer Marino Moretti, highly ranked on the national panorama, was born in 1885 and died in 1979, the books and writings, which were given to the Town Council by his sister Ines, are preserved.
Today the House of Moretti is an important cultural workshop dedicated to the literature of the twentieth-century, where important exhibitions and events are held every year, such as a biennial Literary Prize, takin place in the month of October, and an exhibition from June to September.
The 'Leonardesque' Canal can be reached by car or public means of transport.
It cuts through the town and represents its central core.
It was built in 1314 because of the urgent need of the town of Cesena to create an outlet for its own trade. In 1502 Cesare Borgia (il Valentino) conquered the town and called Leonardo Da Vinci in the hope of finding a solution to the problem of sand bars silting up the harbour entrance. An exact copy of Leonardo's drawing can be seen in the Municipal Library of Cesenatico, whereas the original is preserved in the French National Library in Paris.
In the first stretch there is the Floating Marine Museum , unique in Italy and one of the most attractive and photographed marine scenes of the Mediterranean.
A lot of events take place along the banks of the canal: Cuccagna dell'Adriatico (greasy pole), the traditional Marine Crib , etc.
The 'Conserve' Square can be reached on foot as it is situated in a pedestrian area.
The 'Conserve' are cone shaped ice-boxes which were duly fille with snow and ice, and served between the 16th and the end of the 20th century to preserve fish. They were wide-spread along the Adriatic Coast right up to the beginning of this century. Cesenatico had about twenty of them; three have been recovered as evidence of the culture and the way of life of the people of this fishing resort and can be visited during a walk through the 'Conserve' Square.
Every morning on the 'Conserve' Square there is a typical fruit and vegetable market. At Christmastime a characteristic Crib is set, whereas, during the summer season, some interesting events are held here such as a flea and handicrafts Market every Monday evening and the classical music review Notturni alle Conserve in July and August.
An exhibiting area of 300 square metre where it is possible to go over the sport career of the “pirate” through photos, mementos and audiovisual material that belonged to the famous champion of Cesenatico.
The skyscraper of Cesenatico was built in 1958 by the society 'Marinella' di Faenza according to a plan of the engineer Berardi.
The building is made up of three parts: a rectangular one facing the sea, which was once a hotel and has been then transformed into a residence; another one of 7 stocks facing the viale Carducci (main street) and a tower of 33 stocks.
At the time when it was built, for several years, it represented the highest skyscraper in Europe (even higher than the famous Pirelli in Milan).
It is not possible to visit the inside part because there are only private apartments.
"…the Cathedral must be like a bunch of leaves, they ( leaves) don’t have to be strewn , because living is a breath closed also in a leaf…"
On Saturday 16th of June was inaugurate , at the “ Giardini al Mare “ between Ferrara and Pasubio street, “The Leaf Cathedral”, an idea of Tonino Guerra realized by the iron sculptor Aurelio Brunelli .
The cathedral is a tribute to the nature and the wise work of the men who cultivated and preserved the land : it is located beside the flowerbed where you can find old fruit trees of the Romagna region planted to preserve the sprout and to contrast loss of biodiversity.
The Leaf Cathedral , made by steel leaves, 3,5 meter high, disposed in circle like an amphitheatre , emphasize the religious relationship between the men and the land with his fruits as food for body and soul.
May 2012: the “ Green Beach ” was born in Valverde di Cesenatico, first example in Italy of re-naturalized beach, an oasis of well-being where shade, cool, nature and oxygen blend with the sea scents.
The project, renamed the " Tamarisk Beach ", is realized by the Bathing Establishments Association of Cesenatico in partnership with the Municipality of Cesenatico , the Province of Forlì-Cesena and with the technical planning of the Angelo Grassi Design of Gambettola, and is part of the "A-Best" Project in the framework of the Ernst European Project, funded by the Emilia-Romagna Region. Ernest project aims to implement a model of sustainable and accessible seaside tourism in order to create a quality offer allowing maximum security and usability of the beach to each tourist, in particular by responding to the needs of disabled and elderly people and the expectations of visitors sensitive to the issues of environmental sustainability.
The intervention was conceived thinking in a new way to live the beach with low environmental and anthropic impact . The entire project is characterized by the use of simple and environmentally friendly materials among which stands out above all the tamarisk as a hedge and tree (in the area there are 35). The tree, which was given the shape of the classic beach umbrella, has an important role in the creation of this green oasis, located on the beach with the jar completely underground and is equipped with steel frame on which the foliage will develop; this structure, once the foliage formed, will be removed leaving the tamarisk free to grow providing areas of shade under it. This is a very common essence in some areas of the Mediterranean and is therefore very suitable for the marine environment. Each year the foliage will increase creating a wonderful natural effect. The hedge is also in tamarisk to ensure visual continuity to the whole project.
Moreover, the area has the essential services for a better enjoyment of the beach, such as dressing cabins, showers, bike storage. Dressing cabins and all service facilities are made of chestnut stakes deprived of their bark with waterproof cover. The warm water of the showers will be provided by 15-cm underground pipes so as to exploit soil overheating. Another important choice is the use of Ripietra for the walkways, the first stone made up entirely of recycled material. The 55% of its composition is derived from plastic of the urban separate waste collection, while the remaining 45% is from scrap wood of the industrial processing. Urban ecological points for the collection of waste will also be present in the area.
The " Tamarisk Beach " will be however a free beach, therefore access is absolutely free to the public, as well as the fruition of all the available services.
The Town Theatre can be reached by car or public means of transport.
Open all year round, the inside can be visited according to the performances and rehearsals, which take place.
It is situated in the town centre, on the left-hand bank of the canal. It was designed by the architect Candido Panzani and built in two years (1863-1865). Its unveiling took place on 11/7/1865 and, on that occasion, the Town Council decided to rent the boxes to the citizens. The theatre face is in the neoclassical style. The inside is composed of a central hall with cavea shaped like a horseshoe and of 2 tiers of 15 boxes each.
The decoration is a work by several artists and the original curtain represented Cesare Borgia (il Valentino) and Leonardo Da Vinci. Damaged during the Second World War, the theatre has been completely restored in function since 1992. Every year a rich theatrical review takes place from November to March.
The Giardini al mare (Sea gardens) represent a green strip, directly behind the bathing establishments, equipped with gazebos, fountains and children’s play events, with typical seaside shrubs and trees.